Thursday, September 1, 2011

Hungry?!


Ever wonder if some of the plants in your backyard or nearby park are edible?

If the answer is: YES!
Then, keep reading...

If the answer is: NO!
I'm with you, but we are going to be a good sport and go along anyway...

This morning my husband found this AWESOME website:

(Merriwether's Guide to Edible Wild Plants of Texas and the Southwest)

and he had a brilliant idea called:
"Let's go foraging for edible plants in our neighborhood park!"

So, we got out the double-stroller (which, by the way, did quite well off-roading; I may have to review that on here sometime, ha ha), packed up the kiddos, grabbed water and our handy dandy list copied from the above mentioned website and headed out on an "adventure"! :)

You are still with me, right?
Okay, so are you ready to see what we found?


Did you bring your appetite???!!


There are acorns somewhere 
in that photo...I think.
Guess, what? Acorns are edible!!
And if I had to eat out of the park,
I would be eating A LOT of acorns I believe.
Plus, also, squirrel.
Mainly, because they would be fighting me for my acorns, but also because they would taste way better than the other things we found!  No, really.

Fair Warning:  It is going to get much worse before it get's better...


Many kinds of Algae are edible (with a LOT of boiling, etc.)



Tasty, right?


This may be a good time to say...  Don't use these photos to eat ANYTHING!!  
These photos are purely for entertainment!!!


We found Alligator Weed or Smartweed, not sure which...


Pony's Foot


Dandelion


What, you can't see the dandelion in that last photo? It is there.  Look harder.


Lichen


Honey Locust


We digress...
Also, in our neighborhood park...


I want to learn THIS:


DISC GOLF!!!


Okay, back to the point...


That was all the edible things we found in our neighborhood park.


I had a great time and learned a few things.
Most importantly, I will be VERY thankful
each
and 
every
single
time
I forage in my fridge for something edible!

Ephesians 5:20
Always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Thanks for stopping by!
~ Julie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment